Many people visit Alta, Utah (and nearby Snowbird) during the wintertime because of its world-class ski area and snowboarding. However, the summer season is equally enjoyable! There are plenty of things to do in Alta during the summer along with great dining spots and beautiful hotel and lodging options! Here’s a complete guide that will help plan your Utah escape!
Stay At The Snowpine Lodge
There are many hotels in Alta, Utah but we choose to stay the Snowpine Lodge and were glad that we did! You’ll find this mountain getaway at the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon within the Utah Wasatch Mountain Range (not far from Salt Lake City). What I loved about this lodge was that it was not simply just a room to sleep in, it was a complete experience!
There was on-site dining, activities, relaxation spots, incredible views, friendly staff, live music, and a hotel pool that will top any “best of” list. They even thought of community-building events such as s’mores around the fire in the evenings along with live music during dinner! I totally recommend staying here if you’re looking for more than just a place to lay your head at night.
Put Your Hiking Shoes On And Hit The Trails
If you’re into hiking, this will be heaven on earth for you. There are trails that will lead you to alpine lakes, secluded waterfalls, and fields full of wildflowers. You could seriously spend a whole week in this area and not be able to visit all of the hiking trails! Below are a few of my favorites.
- Catherine’s Pass
- Brighton Lakes Trail
- Upper Albion Meadows Trail
- Devil’s Castle Loop
- Donut Falls Trail
In addition to the hiking trails, you’ll also find some pretty stellar mountain biking trails, too. Other summer activities include rock climbing and star gazing!
Enjoy the Summer Activities At Snowbird
Snowbird is just a short drive from Alta, UT. If you stay at Snowpine Lodge, you can actually take a complimentary shuttle there. During the summer, Snowbird offers incredible activities that can be enjoyed by the whole family! These activities include scenic tram rides, alpine slides, a mountain coaster, tubing, a ropes course, climbing wall, and more!
I recommend buying the All-Day Activity Pass to enjoy all those activities for one low price. My favorite activity was jumping on the tram that leaves every thirty minutes to the top of Hidden Peak. The ride is about ten minutes long taking you a total of 2,900 ft upwards!
Visit The Stillwell Spa
The Stillwell Spa is located at the Snowpine Lodge and provides a variety of services from massage, facials, beauty treatments, and more. You can also book an appointment at the intimate grotto to soothe sore muscles or participate in their weekly group yoga sessions.
My favorite service that I tried while visiting was an appointment at the Oxygen Bar! Snowpine Lodge is located 8,500 feet above sea level, so for those visiting from low-altitude destinations, altitude sickness can be an issue. Oxygen inhalation therapy is an efficient method to maintain proper oxygen levels. This will help with your stamina and endurance levels while hiking!
Check Out These Dining Options
- Swen’s Restaurant- “Known for its delicious food and stunning views, Swen’s offers the ideal mountain-dining experience. With a bustling open kitchen, family and communal seating, and a sophisticated menu featuring globally-inspired, regionally-sourced cuisine, Swen’s strikes the perfect balance between casual and fine-dining.”
- Gulch Pub- “A full-service bar that offers both unique and classic cocktails, the Gulch Pub takes a creative approach to typical apres-ski fare, with drinks crafted in-house and ingredients sourced from the Mountain West.”
- Alta Eats Food Trailer- mobile food and beverage trailer in the Albion parking lot. Alta Eats will operate Friday-Sunday most weekends this summer.
- Alta Lodge Sunday Brunch- The Alta Lodge brunch is a great excuse to spend a summer morning in the mountains. Enjoy the best summer patio dining experience at Alta.
- Steak Pit- serves a great upscale steak dinner.
- General Gritts- Grab and go items
- The Atrium- great place for brunch
Wasatch Wildflower Festival
Every year, Alta hosts a wildflower festival that should be on every outdoor lover’s bucket list! Many people love the wildflowers at Albion Basin and will park at the Albion Basin parking lot. Do note that in 2021, they did charge a $10 parking fee to access this area. Another great place to park and explore the wildflowers is at the Catherine’s Pass parking lot.
Cool Off At The Pool
“At the Snowpine you can enjoy the mountain air year-round in our heated outdoor pool and spas. Comfortable pool loungers, a pool volleyball net, basketball hoops, and jetted spas make this outdoor oasis perfect for the whole family.” After a long day of hiking, we came back to jump in the pool to cool off. Nothing beats the refreshing water and amazing views we enjoyed that afternoon!
Events In Alta, Utah
I hope you have a great time in Alta, Utah!