Planning a trip to Hawaii and looking for a vehicle rental? Here is your complete guide to renting a jeep in Hawaii!
Is it Worth Renting a Jeep in Hawaii
There is a lot of opinions out there about whether you should or should not rent a jeep in Hawaii. We personally rented a jeep while we vacationed in Oahu and loved it (despite a few drawbacks). Check out the pros and cons to renting a jeep in Hawaii below and be the judge for yourself.
Don’t Miss– Best 10 Places To Find Sea Turtles In Oahu [Secret Beaches Included]
Pros of Renting a Jeep in Hawaii
- Feel the wind in your hair as your cruise alongside the beaches.
- If you do a little off-roading, your vehicle can handle it.
- Jeeps are extremely fun to drive
- You won’t have to use air-conditioning as the wind will handle that for you.
Cons of Renting a Jeep in Hawaii
- It’s hard to lock up your belongings. You either have to have a secure lockbox that can’t be easily removed from the jeep to stash your precious belongings. Or, you have to put that top up every time you park and go somewhere.
- Depending on when you visit Hawaii, weather may be a factor. November to March is considered the rainy season in Hawaii.
- Depending on who you rent with, convertibles and jeeps may be a little bit more pricey.
Additional Reading- What Not To Do In Hawaii [Rookie Mistake First Timers Make in Oahu]
While we were in Oahu, we rented a jeep. But just for one day. The rest of the week? We had a small car that we used to drive around the island. Because of the cons of renting a jeep listed above, we knew it wasn’t practical to have a jeep rental during our entire vacation.
However, we still wanted to enjoy those pros that we listed above. So on our second day of our vacation, we rented a jeep and just drove around the island. We visited the Botanical Gardens, had a picnic on the beach, and watched the sunset from the hood on top of a mountain.
We didn’t take our valuables with us, we budgeted a little bit more money for gas that day, and ensured that the weather would be ideal. It was the perfect day. Afterwards, we simply traded in the jeep for a regular car for the remainder of our vacation.
Jeep Rentals in Hawaii
If you are looking for a rental car, chances are you are willing to shop around a bit to get the best deal. Below are the best places to rent a jeep no matter which island you are visiting.
- Budget Car Rentals
- Turo Rentals
Below you’ll find local and island-specific places where you can rent a jeep wrangler in Hawaii!
Jeep Rentals in Oahu
- Oahu Jeep Rentals– Rent a jeep right from the Honolulu Airport (
- Little Hawaii Rentals– Hawaii car rental with Daily, weekly, and monthly deals available
- Hawaii Jeep Rentals– A rental that you can pick up directly in Waikiki with three different locations.
Additional Reading- Top 10 Outdoor Adventures in Oahu [Ultimate Guide]
Jeep Rentals in Maui
- Maui Jeeps- Good deals on Jeep Wranglers
- Maui Jeep Rentals- Lots of options if you are looking for a jeep rental
Jeep Rentals in Big Island
- Kona Jeep Rentals– No cancellation fees
- Big Island Discount Jeep Rentals– rentals right from the airport
Jeep Rentals in Kaui
- Kaui Jeeps– free mileage
- Kaui Jeep Wrangler Rentals– two-door and four-door jeep rentals available
Jeep Rentals in Lanai
- Lanai Jeeps- Low daily rate
- Lanai Jeep Rentals– airport delivery
Best Jeep Tours in Hawaii
A jeep tour is a good alternative if you don’t want to actually rent a jeep, yet still want to enjoy the benefits. Each island has several different jeep tours that they offer and all it takes is a quick google search to find the best fit for you.
Want travel tips, tricks, and hacks like this article delivered straight to your inbox once a week? Then subscribe below to receive our weekly email and get free travel guides and access to our Freebie Library!