Looking for the best day trips from Idaho Falls or Rexburg? Then this guide is for you! What’s nice is that most of these Idaho Falls day trips can be turned into weekend trips from Idaho Falls too!
Best Day Trips From Idaho Falls
If you’ve run out of things to do in Idaho Falls, I hope you find something on this list that inspires you to get outside and discover something new around the area. All of these Idaho adventures are things to do in Eastern Idaho so you won’t have to drive far.
Things To Do In Idaho Falls In Summer
1. Mesa Falls
(Drive Time 1 Hr 15 Min)
Mesa Falls is a giant waterfall found just over an hours drive from Idaho Falls. In addition to the outlook spots along the boardwalk, you’ll be rewarded with incredible views throughout the entire scenic drive along the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway.
2. Hot Springs Near Idaho Falls
(Drive Time 20 Min-3 Hrs)
You’ve got several options when it comes to hot springs near Idaho Falls. These nearby hot springs include-
- Heise Hot Spring (32 minutes)
- Lava Hot Springs (1 hr 42 minutes)
- Carey Hot Springs (2 hrs 28 minutes)
- Gold Bug Hot Springs (3 hrs )- This hot spring might be too long of a drive for an Idaho Falls day trip but it can easily be turned into a camping weekend trip in Salmon, Idaho. Don’t want to set up a traditional tent? Try car camping instead! Here is a complete list of car camping essentials!
- Boat Box Hot Springs (3 hrs 20 minutes)- Once again, this might be a little far to make the list of “Day Trips from Idaho Falls,” but it is so amazing that I just had to include it! You could still make it a day trip or turn it into a weekend getaway.
Additional Reading- Idaho’s Very Best Hot Springs [3 Day Road-Trip + Map]
These hot springs can be enjoyed both in the summer and in the winter!
3. Grand Teton National Park
Drive Time 1 Hr 15 Min
Visit Grand Teton is just a short drive away from Idaho Falls and definetly deserves to make this Idaho Falls Day Trips list! From hiking, swimming, to enjoying a scenic drive, there are plenty of fun things to do in Grand Teton.
Additional Reading- 6 Amazing Things To Do At Grand Teton National Park
4. Explore Yellowstone National Park
Drive Time 1 Hr 53 Min
If we included Grant Teton, we sure as heck had to include Yellowstone too! Fun things to do in Yellowstone include hiking, waterfall chasing, and looking for wildlife (responsibly). I also enjoy simply driving throughout the park to take in the views!
5. Find Outdoor Adventures at Island Park
Drive Time 1 Hr 22 Min
Island Park is every outdoor lovers’ dream come true. Some fun things to do include floating the river, feeding the fish at big springs, and renting RZRs to explore the backroads.
Did you know that there is also an awesome waterfall trail that most people don’t know about located in Island Park? Click that link below to find out more.
Additional Reading- Top 8 Things To Do In Island Park Idaho [Full Guide]
6. Have Fun At West Yellowstone
Drive Time 1 Hr 50 Min
West Yellowstone is definitely a tourist town that provides plenty of dining options, souvenir shops, and unique things to do near Yellowstone National Park. My favorite thing to do is catch a performance at the Playmill!
In my opinion, the best souvenir that you can take away with you is an old-time photo at Madison Avenue!
Click the button below to find out the rest of the best Idaho Falls Day Trips! (Psst…I’m sharing the best waterfall near Idaho Falls)
I hope you found something on this list that you didn’t know about! Have additional ideas? Drop them in the comments!
Want free travel guides like this one delivered straight to your inbox each week? Then subscribe below to receive our weekly email and get travel tips, tricks, hacks and access to our Freebie Library!