Do your upcoming travel plans have you traveling by train through Europe, Canada, or the United States? Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or a newbie, it can be intimidating booking train tickets if you haven’t experienced this mode of transportation yet. Here are some tips and tricks from parents from the Where Is Briggs Instagram community who have recently traveled by train with their families.
If you haven’t booked your train tickets yet, a great website to find amazing deals is Omio. Here’s a discount code for your booking through Omio! They have more than 1,000 trusted travel partners across trains, buses, flights, ferries, and airport transfers on their website.
Train Travel Tips and Tricks
If you happen to be traveling alone with your kids, speak to the company beforehand to assist you in and out of the train.
Some trains have family compartments that may be ideal for your situation.
Sometimes booking first class is the way to go because it is quieter, less crowded, and guaranteed seats.
If you’ve flown with kids, you’ll be quite familiar with all the same steps as it’s very similar to a flight.
Trains can be delayed so make sure you make extra supplies and be flexible.
Pre-book seats next to luggage space for easy access.
Try to get seats facing each other with a center table.
Train travel can be cheaper than air travel so with that extra money buy babies their own seat so they don’t have to sit on your lap.
Bring lots of snacks!
If you’re looking to entertain your kids, consider purchasing toys such as window suction toys, window clings, etc.
Ask if they have anyone in the ADA seat. If it’s available they usually will let you sit there.
Now let’s talk about the pros and cons of traveling by train with kids!
- You and your kids can move around during the duration on the trip unlike a car ride where you need to break every two hour to let your kids out the car seat.
- You don’t have to worry about pulling over for fast food during a road trip or buying expensive airport food when traveling by air.
- There is more privacy than a plane ride if you have a cabin.
- It will save you gas and miles on your car.
- It’s much easiesr for everyone to sleep on a train if beds are provided.
- It’s a new experience for your family
- Depending on the routes you book, it can sometimes be more expensive than a traditional road trip or flight. This is why you should always book your trains through Omio as they can get you the very best price.
- Like airplanes, the trip may be a little bumpy. Be sure to bring motion sickness medicine if you are prone to getting sick.
- When you’re ready to sleep, you have to have an attendant help you set up the beds.
If you do end up booking through Omio. I recommend downloading their app. Their app is free for travelers and where you’ll find tickets right on your phone, support during your journey, COVID19 travel info, and get updates and reminders. The go-to app for travelers.